CALIFORNIA CHAPTER, SPAAMFAA
Board of Directors Virtual Business Meeting Minutes
December 14, 2013 - January 3, 2014
Meeting called into session, via email, December 14, 2013 at 14:58 hours, by President Will Radcliffe.
All Officers and Directors listed on first page of roster were notified.
Minutes of the general membership meeting from Saturday, April 20, 2013, That was held at the Benicia Fire museum were approved as posted on our website. The minutes of the last virtual Board Meeting during December 2012 were resent and corrections required to the amounts listed in the Treasurer's report. Corrections made and approved, as corrected.
A. Treasurer - Balance at December 15, 2013 was $3,347.47, with no amounts due or payable. At this date 2012, the cash balance was $3,850.32. The mid-December year-over-year cash balance is down $502.85. One significant invoice for the printing of the newly revised safety manual is expected by years end.
B. Newsletter Editor - As of December 15th, 265 members have paid their dues. This number is down 10 members from 2012.
C. Secretary - Reporting, all National SPAAMFAA paperwork was reviewed by the President and filed on time. The 2013 report is due in the middle of January 2014.
Old Business: None
A. Nominations: Jack Reeves, Jim Henery, and Dave Kromka have agreed to run for director again for the 2014-2015 term. Their names will appear on the ballot and thanks to all of them.
No other officer and director positions are up for re-election this year and there were no other nominations for director (so far).
B. Chapter Events for 2014:
March 29 (Sat). San Jose. California Chapter of SPAAMFAA Annual Business Meeting and San Jose Fire Museum Garage Sale. San Jose Fire Museum at 1661 Senter Road in Building D1. Tours of the museum collection starting at 11 a.m., meeting at 12 noon, garage sale immediately after the meeting. Members, family, and guests are invited and encouraged to attend this exciting double-feature event.
April 12 (Sat). Hollywood. Book Signing, Fire Museum Sale, and Swap Meet at the Los Angeles Fire Department Museum and Fallen Firefighters Memorial located at 1355 N. Caheunga Boulevard in Hollywood. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Authors signing their books will include Dave Cox, Walt Jaeger, Chuck Madderom, and Richard Yokley. Everyone is invited. This will be a great chance to meet some well-known fire apparatus publication authors, as well as a great opportunity to view the museum's collection.
June 8 (Sun). Hollister. California Chapter of SPAAMFAA Swap Meet and Barbecue at Zoltan Szucs' fire station/house. Details in future newsletters.
Other dates to be announced.
C. Other New Business:
(1) Discussions on offering the newsletter electronically to save money on mailing resurfaced this year. Chris will send out questionnaire again this year, and provide write-up in newsletter. We agreed to discuss at general membership meeting.
(2) Eliminating a printed Chapter Roster and subsequent mailing was proposed. Board agreed to discuss at the general membership meeting.
(3) Safety Manual Update. We have updated the chapter safety manual to include new requirements from National SPAAMFAA, plus a few clarifications to cover points that we encountered in our own events. Proper driver's licenses are now required to participate in chapter events (and to legally drive on public streets), and we will be publishing an article on this subject in an upcoming newsletter -- probably March or May. Revised Safety Manual requires driver's license verifications. Discussions regarding California DMV requirements were brought up to the president.
(4) A yearbook with photos of member's apparatus was suggested. Having a link to our website was recommended instead of printing one. Tabled for the March general meeting.
(5) Discussion about not listing events in the newsletter that charge a fee. A majority of the board was for this proposal. (Secretary's note: That would include all CFMA events where you have to pay dues to participate??)
Adjournment: - Final comments, and meeting closed January 3, 2014 at 12:49 p.m..